The European Parliament today adopted a report 5G
1 June 2017
5G is more than mobile revolution. … a business models and creating the new quality networks (Very High Capacity Networks) and high-quality services,” said, Michał Boni MEP and the EPP Group’s Rapporteur on the initiative Report”>It will be an innovation engine, bringing disruptive change across industries, developing new business models and creating high quality networks. On ‘Internet connectivity for growth’, which was adopted by the European Parliament today.
The infrastructure is an enabler as it provides new connectivity possibilities due to the new architecture of the networks. But there are critical points and requirements for the implementation of 5G and the so-called Gigabit Society.
Investments are among the key elements for achieving 5G goals so we need the simplification of the legal framework, flexible models for co-investments, and long-term certainty and predictability, a level playing field in Europe in that area, and conditions for the Adequate return of investments, considering business and societal dimensions.
Among other critical elements are:
1) It establishes the market demand of new, 5G based services and products.
2) To fulfill all technical conditions. 5G systems will need to be able to operate over a wide frequency range below 1GHz up to 100GHz, with a perspective of up to 300GHz.
3) To involve all stakeholders and work together on explicit timetable. It is important to have cooperation with all stakeholders and adequate investments in order to fulfill all the conditions within the time frame required.
4) To ensure the strong basis to finance the 5G Action Plan, also by public sources – there where it is needed. It means to maintain and develop financing for the 5G Action Plan in the next Multiannual Financial Framework 2020-2027.
5) To begin with a coherent and timely actions at region and city level.
6) To adjust the skills to the 5G and Gigabit society challenges.
7) To ensure the proper level of interoperability and standardization.
Finally, we need to be open, not to forget about any possible partner! It is critical to use the best possible investment models.